About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Selfless Service

This past Saturday, the boy’s basketball team traveled to the Woodlands for scrimmage. It was a morning scrimmage, and it ended about noon. As we were traveling back to Houston we stopped at a combination Taco Bell/Long John’s Silver for lunch. While we were waiting in line to order, I watched as an older gentleman attempted to carry two cups full of soda, napkins, and utensils to his table for him and his wife. I had a feeling it was going to be a long trip from the soda fountain to his table, and I was right. Just as he got to the table he spilled one cup of soda all over the floor and himself. He set down the other cup and proceeded to go back and get napkins to clean up the mess, but before he could back our student assistant Junel was already on the floor cleaning up the mess. It was an awesome site of servant hood, but the weird part was the reaction of the man. When the man got back to the table, he was not appreciative, he was almost scolding. He said to Junel, “I was getting napkins, I would have done that.” Then he left Junel with a, “Thanks.” I went through a few reactions in my head to this situation, and I want to share a couple.
My first reaction was-that is surprising. A young man took the time to help you and that is the best thanks you could give him. My second reaction was-I am not surprised. We have become more selfish than ever, and more skeptical than ever. Why would someone help me, they have to be wanting something in return. My third reaction was-Junel is awesome. Now this should have been my only reaction. I was more concerned with the man’s response than Junel. Junel literally did a selfless act, with no concern of the reward or praise. Junel modeled servant leadership. He did not grumble or respond negatively to the man’s lack of gratitude. I believe Junel was not burned by it causing him to stop helping others because of the lack of acknowledgement. I know many others, myself included that have become hardened from serving without being acknowledged. I have said things like, “I will never help him again because he wasn’t appreciative, or he didn’t help me.” It is embarrassing to admit, but that’s me- maybe I can learn from Junel. I can learn to serve without concern for the reward. Junel is my friend and my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment