About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Teachers

What makes a teacher a great teacher? I am a teacher and I want to be great. I am sure there is some great governmental tool for measuring an educator’s greatness; however I have taken a look at a few of those that I thought were great and cam up with my own evaluation system. I will explain.
1. The Mr. Garner/Mr. Crumpler Factor- you have to be very knowledgeable yet never too intellectually ahead of your students. You have to meet students where they are and try to stretch them further. This can be done by inserting interesting stories and good humor along with teaching the material. It is the fine line of making class enjoyable without losing class room control. Mr. Garner did it in high school Chemistry and Mr. Crumpler with 8th grade Social Studies.
2. The Mrs. Adkinson/Coach Sanderson Factor- you have to be demanding without compromise because you know it is best for the student. You have to get the student to strive for things they never thought they were physically or mentally capable of. It is much harder to appreciate this teacher greatness while going through it however it might be the one you appreciate the most later. This teacher will hold the line and will only except the students best, but the best part is that they will never make the student go through it alone. They will be there all along the way; they will come early and stay late. They never play favorites, they demand the same from each person, and they serve all those that want to be great; however not everyone makes it but those that do will be better for the experience. Mrs. Adkinson taught middle school Math and Coach Sanderson coached basketball.
3. The Coach Beam/Mrs. McAlister Factor- you have show them you care. You always have the right thing to say and you always say it in the appropriate way. You are positive when in your mind you want to shout and ring their necks. You can be critical without being demeaning, you show unwavering support. You will stand behind your students even those that have tendencies to be uncontrollable. You want to help them, and you have a sincere caring heart. You will probably go home many nights frustrated but you always return the next day with the same caring spirit; because you know that is what they need. You are going to love them no matter what. Coach Beam was a tennis coach, and Mrs. Mac was a Home Economics teacher. (Quick example- Mrs. Mac gave a sewing assignment, I failed miserably, but she knew I was a good student and that I could not fail Home Ec, so she re- sewed part of my shorts for me after class and then graded me on them. She could have just failed me but didn’t-she cared)
These are my examples of great educators. These are the three factors that I hope I have in the classroom and on the court. I will never forget these people nor the impact they made on me. The great thing is I bet there several others that when asked what makes a great teacher; they will name the same people. Great teachers impact all their students. I know not all those listed above will have the opportunity to read this; I say thanks all the same, and because of what you have done in my life I am now impacting others as you did for me. Thanks- Russell Carr GHS Class of 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment