About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Friday, April 30, 2010

Giving Your Whole Self!

Why is giving your whole self to something so difficult? It seems we are always holding something back. I would say that fear is the number one reason-fear of failure, fear of embarrassment, fear of exposure, etc.
The Bible teaches us that we should only fear God, and God wants our whole self. As Paul wrote, "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus; not with uncertainty. Thus I fight; not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others I myself should become disqualified." I Cor 9:24-27. You can only run and win the race if you are willing to give you whole self to God, and train in such a way. Paul was an example of giving his whole self.
As I coach and teach young people I try to both lead them in words and deed. I try to be an example of giving my whole self to everything I do, as I ask them to do. We call it "Championship Effort." I have found that most people are willing to do whatever it takes to be a champion. Watch the NCAA tournament or the NBA Finals. I was asked the other day, why do the NBA players play so hard in the play-offs, well they are playing for a championship and I would think because if they lose it is over. Putting this into a spiritual context, isn't that exactly what Paul was saying? We are promised a crown that will last forever-why not give all we have to get it. Instead of waiting until the end gets close, why not do it everyday expecting the end at any moment. As the end could be any moment. We do not need to what until the final tournament, when can give our whole selves today. Our whole self is what is needed, what is asked.
As I coach players or teach students, I ask them what they want to accomplish. Most want to be good players or A students, but when you lay out what it takes to accomplish these things, they begin to pick and choose what they are willing to do. Why? By doing this they expect to win the race with out the work. I like to run, but I will not finish a marathon, if I only train sometimes and not everyday. Even when it doesn't feel good if I want to achieve I must put in the work.
I would be lying if I said I did have the same fears, but hopeful I can recognize those, and overcome them. God needs my best, he wants all of me-there is nothing to hold back for.

No comments:

Post a Comment