About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Glory of Modern Medicine

I am writing two today, to make up for missing yesterday. My fellow blogger-Coach Hawley-gave me a hard time about retiring after only two post, so I have to get back on track.
I went to the doctor yesterday because my knee was swollen and painful. Now as a former basketball player and as a current coach, there are certain areas of your body you really need-they all are important but the knees and back can be crucial. I was reluctant about going, because of the fear of what they might find, but probably more fearful of what they would need to do to fix the problem. As it turned out I have a touch of arthritis and some bone spurs, that through wear cause a build up of fluid. Not earth shattering news, as I am getting older so wear and tear is common, and the fluid was obvious by the size of my knee. The earth shattering part came when the doctor said we are going to drain the swelling right now! What? My first thought (which is not very educated, I will admit) was do I need to call my wife and get my affairs in order because you are going to do surgery on my knee. Can I have some time to process this please? The doctor laughed and said I would not feel a thing. I laughed because he was wrong, I could already feel the pain before he had touched me!
The procedure was amazing. I never undressed, only rolled up my pant leg, and never took off my shoes. He stuck me with a shot, that he said would numb my knee, but I was still reluctant, I have seen those shows on the Discovery channel. The next thing I heard was (obviously I was not watching) you have a lot of fluid here, but I almost done. What, done? I never felt it. He showed me the fluid and then hole it came out of, amazing, it was the size of a pen! I was in shear wonderment!
Needless to say, thanks to modern medicine and a great doctor; my knee is free from swelling and it feels almost new. I came real close to asking if he could do the other knee while he was there, but I thought I would save that for another time. I will never hesitate again to go to the doctor-they make you feel better. I feel better.

1 comment: