About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Friday, July 30, 2010

Poland-Day 2 (Continued)

Lunch was interesting! I set down to a bowl of cauliflower soup. Yes-soup in the summer time. I do not eat cauliflower in America, why the heck would I eat it in Poland. I stepped out on a limb and tried my first spoonful of cauliflower soup. (I make it sound like an adventure, but the truth is it was all they served, I had no car, and I did not see a McDonald’s on the way in-it is amazing what you will try when your hungry and there are no options) I found out that cauliflower soup is not that bad, it was actually pretty good. As I finished my soup, they brought me another plate with baked chicken, smashed potatoes and cucumbers. I got a little worried at this point. In America, we eat a light lunch; the meal they were serving me was like what we would serve for dinner. I thought to myself if this is lunch, then dinner must be a feast. (Boy, was I wrong) I was served a lot of food for lunch and the best part was the tea I was served to wash it all down. It was not sweet tea, or unsweet tea, in fact it wasn’t even cold tea; it was hot tea! Hot tea! It is 110 degrees outside and you want me to wash my food down with hot tea. It was the perfect storm-my outside skin was hot and sweaty and now my insides were cooking as well. I guess this is what you call being cooked through and through. After lunch I was seriously thinking of catching the train back to Warsaw in the middle of the night. I thought ok, lets get through dinner and then revaluate.
Lunch was a trip, dinner topped lunch. We ate 6:00pm and this was going to be my last meal of the day. I was not concerned about being hungry later, because of the size of lunch; dinner would be plenty. I set down to see several baskets of bread, plates of ham, cheese and tomatoes. It looked just like what you get when you sit down to a meal at any restaurant; you know the food to hold you over until the meal arrives. I started to make my mini sandwich; I only took one slice of bread as I wanted to save room for dinner. I ate my sandwich and was prepared for the next course. As I waited I watched the others continue to grab bread and ham, and make multiple sandwiches. I thought wow, these people can really eat. I continued to wait for the next course, when someone said, “Coach, is that all you are going to eat?” I was then informed that the mini sandwiches were dinner, there would no other course and no other food until 8:00am the next morning. I began to make multiple sandwiches. I would starve in Poland! I then began to think about my plan to sneak out in the middle of the night, as I finished my second cup of scorching hot tea. I decided that I would have to wait until the morning because at this rate breakfast had to be exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Only our family can express our experiences through food...I can relate.

    ReplyDelete