About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Monday, August 30, 2010

Finding Balance

We are into our third week of school, and most everybody is settling in to a routine. I am also settling into my routine. Routines are good for me; it gives direction for the day. The problem is trying to find balance in all the things that I want to accomplish in a day. I have real trouble deciding how to divide my time so as to give all the things I want and need to accomplish in day equal time and effort. I am starting to believe there is no such thing as true balance. If they made a play about my life there would be about 5 different roles that needed to be filled; athletic director, teacher, coach, father, and husband. I do I give them all equal time, and equal effort?
Is there balance? I even find it funny that when I start to feel that one area is getting too much time and attention (off balance); I will stop what I am doing to over compensate for the area being neglected. (off balance). About a year ago, I had real trouble playing all the daily roles and feeling fulfilled at the end of the day. It felt a lot like my favorite movie-Cool Hand Luke- I was digging a hole to later find out that I was putting the dirt on the wardens ground, which I had to put back into the hole. It was frustrating and on top of it all I was concerned about my own spiritual well being. I cannot find time to accomplish all the task others were putting in front of me, how would I ever find time for God? Through the summer I think I came back to center-I found a way to get the dirt out of the hole and keep it off the wardens ground all at the same time.
My biggest concern was where God is going to fit in my daily life. I found that I could commune with God my actually doing by daily work. As the athletic director, coach, and teacher, I severed others, I taught children, I cared and I loved. As the husband, and father I got to pray with my family, serve my wife and kids, go to church together, and worship together. I found that God was in all these things. I realized I was missing God because I was not looking. Once I started looking for Him in my daily activities; He was there and had been there all the time. I finally realized by playing my roles, I was actually getting closer to Him, because I was doing in love. Love for Him and for those I was around. I was keeping the two most important commandments. I was also found as I was looking for Him in all I did, balance became easier. I wasn’t working any harder or even accomplishing more, the spirit of what I was doing changed. I found balance. I realized there were only two things I needed to balance: Love God with all my heart, and love my neighbor as I love myself.

1 comment: