About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Universal Soldier

As I was flipping channels this weekend, I got stuck on a movie called Universal Soldier. It starred Jean Claude Van Dame and Kurt Douglas. The premise was about creating soldiers that were indestructible. They were soldiers designed using the best parts of different people. They were fast, strong, smart, tactical, logical, and they could endure anything. It was a fascinating movie and I really got stuck on the premise of creating the best by taking the best parts of other people. Is it possible to create a universal person? I think we have the opportunity to create the best person possible by stealing the best parts from other people. Let me explain.
We all are given talents and gifts, and those cannot be duplicated. We cannot change our physical beings very much. In other words, if my jumping ability is a 3, then the most I could improve would be to a 5 or 6. I can steal the developmental tricks of the best jumpers but without their gift I will probably never be able to jump like them. However when it comes to those things that do not directly relate to talent, then we can steal from the very best. For example, I do not handle stressful situations very well, but my friend is an ace at it, so I watch and learn how to be better and emulate my friend in stressful situations. How I handle certain things is not necessarily a gift or talent, some of it is learning and emulating those who handle those things the best. If you are a 3 when it comes to communication with others, then I think you can become a 10, if you learn from those that are 10’s. The key is to find those that are great at the things you want to improve on and then watch them and try to mimic what they do and how they do it. I think you can become the universal person.
I want to be a universal person. I think Paul was a universal person and I think Timothy spent time learning from Paul how to be universal as well. If I could take the best parts from people, then here are the ones I would choose: I want the gentle spirit and patience of every elementary teacher; the caring and authentic personality of Doc Farrar; the servant attitude of Coach Hawley; the wisdom of Dr. Lacey; the vision of Mr. Glenn; the humility and humbleness of Charlie Ward; the loyalty of Mrs. Sandahl; the communication skills of Mr. Farris; the work ethic of the Ramirezs’ and the ability to love like God. The good news is I am with most of these people almost every day, which means I get to learn from them and make myself the best person I can be. I have the opportunity to be with God every second of everyday, so even if I never get great at the others qualities I can be great at loving others as God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment