About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Concrete Man

Yesterday I had the opportunity to watch some slow but amazing work. The gas station across the street from the school is under going some repairs. Yesterday morning they began breaking up the concrete in the front part of the parking lot. It is a lot of concrete. I got there about 8:00 am and they had only done a few feet. I watched the guy with the jackhammer stay in one place for about 10 minutes. It looked as if nothing was happening. I laughed and thought there is no way he will finish this job. It was amazing because he continued to jackhammer and it appeared nothing was happening. Seemed to be very frustrating work. As I left to start camp, I was anxious to see what was accomplished by the time I left to go home; approximately 9 hours later.
As I left the parking lot of school later that evening, I turned to see the work at the gas station and I was shocked. He had almost finished the job! I was completely amazed. I do not know he if changed tools or what, but he had almost finished what appeared to be an unreachable goal. It reminded of tenacity, perseverance, and commitment. He started that morning with a goal, and worked foot by foot to complete the task. I was inspired by the concrete man.
I do not know what he thought when he saw the job, but I know what I thought. I thought this is an impossible task, and not one I would do for any amount of money. After seeing what was accomplished, my thoughts changed a little. I am going to take a page out of his book. Instead of looking at the task as impossible, I am going to look at the task as achievable. It might take a foot by foot approach, or even and inch by inch approach, but it can be done. It takes a little hard work, and tenacity.
Sometimes we get focused on how far away the goal is, instead of focusing on each step to get to our goal. I gave the analogy in camp of my drive to school. If I get in my car with only the end in mind, then I will probably never get there. Instead I must focus on the backing out of the driveway first. I have to take it step by step, achieving little goals before I can achieve the big ones.
My spiritual life is much the same way. I can only be the man God wants me to be by first taking it step by step or inch by inch. For example, if my goal was to read the entire Bible and I said today I am going to read the entire Bible then probably after a few minutes I would be tired and lose focus. Instead I will read a passage a day until I finish the whole book. I would be more focused and would gain more from it. I think God would be much happier with the later.
I am a fan of the concrete guy. It is amazing how much you can learn from watching others work.

No comments:

Post a Comment