About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life Caddy

During our trip to Alabama I had the opportunity to drive my mom’s new car. It is a Honda mini-van. It is fully loaded, like a space ship. It has a DVD players, navigation, and XM radio. I was very impressed with the car, but the XM radio set it apart. You could listen to specific stations with specific programming. My favorite stations were the comedy stations. While listening, I heard a comic talk about golf and specifically the caddies. He made jokes about us having a life caddy, which is much like the cartoons of the two angels sitting on our shoulders. I had a different thought about the life caddy. I even said to my self, I have a life caddy of my own.
Caddies serve a specific role to a golfer. They advise the golfer of all kinds of things like course lay-out, weather conditions, hole placement, distance and the proper club to hit at certain times. They caddy has to know the course and the golfer. It is even fun to watch the interaction between the caddies and the golfers. Sometimes you watch and see the golfer heed the words of the caddy and then other times shake off the caddy for their own decision making.
I have life caddy-his name is Jesus. He knows me better than anyone and he knows my course better than anyone. He helps me with direction. He advises me what to do next. He advises me of the hazards that lay ahead. Sometimes like golfers I fail to listen and use my own decision making. I have never seen a caddy quit in the middle of a round, and Jesus never quits on me. He allows me to play my own shot and remains beside me when I am ready to listen.
I am making a promise to myself to listen to my caddy more often. He is always right. Why would I choose to do it differently? Pride and selfishness get in my way, but thank God, He will walk the whole course with me.

1 comment: