About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Names and Accomplishments Part I

What’s in a name? This morning I thought I would write a two part blog. As I was jogging I debated as to which part should come first. (Much like the argument “Which came first the chicken of the egg?”) I was having a silly argument with myself but it did make the jog go by faster, which was good. I decided I would talk about the name before I talked about the accomplishments.
I was thinking about names as if they were written on one of those holographic toys you find in the bottom of a cereal box or a Cracker Jack box. You know one were when you read it, it says one thing but as you turn and twist it, it reveals something else. I was thinking what if we all had one of those with our names on it and as it was turned it revealed a message about who we were. The message could simply be a word or phrase.
I thought about two people in particular-Charlie Ward and Coach John Wooden. (I will talk more about Charlie Ward in part II). I have never met Coach Wooden. I do feel however that I know him. I have read several books and articles about him over the last few years. Coach Wooden passed away this weekend. His body has left but his teachings and legacy will forever be a part of this world. If Coach Wooden’s name was on a holographic toy, I think when it was turned and twisted it would reveal things like-father, teacher, mentor, humble, champion, leader, and so on. I do know Coach Ward. He is our football coach at Westbury Christian. Coach Ward is my friend. If Coach Ward’s name was on a holographic toy it would reveal words like-father, leader, Godly, servant, humble, righteous, and so on. I think in both cases they would be great ways to describe each individual.
What if my name was on a holographic toy? I am not sure what it would say, but I do know what I would want it to say. Step 1 would be deciding what I want the words to say and I feel like I have achieved this step. I have to now go to step 2, writing the words. My actions and example will help me with the coded message behind my name. In my mind I have to keep a check list of the words in the message, and then I have to look for opportunities to write the message. This part is both tough and easy. It is easy because there will no shortage of opportunity, tough because I have to have the awareness to see them and then act on them.
Put your name on the holographic toy, what secret message would be revealed? It is never too late to change the message. Be aware and take advantage of the opportunities. I pray that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment