About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Monday, June 28, 2010

Wow Points

I want to start by apologizing to the all the faithful followers. I am a little behind on the blog. I have been in camp for 3 weeks and it is very time consuming. Camp has ended for the summer so I will get back on the blog.
Coach Hawley told me that camp blogs never get old, so once again I am going to write about camp. We just finished our three weeks of summer basketball camp, and I believe every summer camp gets better. Camp is a lot of work and very tiring but it is great experience. I woke this morning to my normal summer routine; up by 4:45am, at the school running by 5:45am, and in my office reading by 6:30am. After I finish my reading I change clothes to get ready for the day, and for the last three weeks that has been rolling out the balls, rolling down the baskets, and getting my daily plan ready for camp, but today was different there was a void from 7:30-8:30am. There was no need to roll down the baskets or get the balls out for because camp was over. I was in the gym this morning at 8:15am expecting David, Kenneth, and Julia to be the first three to arrive; then soon after two of my all time favorites Piper and Hayden. It took me a minute to realize they wouldn’t be here today because camp had ended, and I was a little sad. I know they have a lot of fun at camp, but you can’t believe the joy they bring me in the morning. They all came in with a smile and with a lot of energy. We have started several mornings with a Taylor Swift song and a lot of team chanting. No one can shout has loud as Piper. Today was different and quiet. No matter how tired and sore I am in the morning, once I see those kids all the fatigue is gone.
In the morning camp we teach as much basketball as those little guys can handle and they do a great job of trying to learn, but I realize they are there for the experience. They get to be on teams, so they learn the value of teamwork. They get to choose a team name and we award wow points for the week to the team with the most spirit. I think they enjoy the team wow points more than camp. They cheer for their team and try to out cheer the other teams. My favorite part is when I award wow points and they begin to cheer “We love Coach Carr.” I am very partial to this cheer for obvious reasons. When they do that I feel unbelievable good about myself. I have done so little to get so much. I think that is the lesson learned.
Sometimes we try so hard to gain acceptance that we forget that the little things might be what makes the difference. We will even try harder because we block out the sounds of “I love you”, or we are trying to seek it from the wrong people. God is constantly chanting about how much he loves us, especially when we do the little kind acts that he approves of so much; yet we don’t hear it because we want to do the bigger things that gets the worlds approval. We all want to be accepted but we have to be careful where we seek it and what we do to get approval. God’s approval is the most important and the little things are the best way to start.

1 comment:

  1. Great way to wrap up camp. Piper is the loudest human EVER!

    ReplyDelete