About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memories

It has been a good trip back to my hometown. I have come to realize a few things while I was here. But before I continue, I made a major mistake the other day and I need to correct it. I mentioned that I was coming home to see my parents but I failed to mention my wonderful sisters. They still live in my hometown and that are two of the greatest sisters ever. They are wonderful people with wonderful families. I am very proud of the wives, and mothers they have become. They are special. I miss them a lot, and I wish I was able to see them more, but I sort of like keeping the memories we had as children in my head. They are my little sisters. They will always be my little sisters, no matter what.
Since being home I have realized that while I have grown, I expect everything I knew as a child and teen to stay the same. It doesn’t but the cool thing is that the memories do not change a bit. I have driven by old hang-outs and relived many of the things I did as a teen. I can still see the faces, the people, I can almost reenact the conversations and laughs we had. I love my hometown and I love the people.
I am currently at McDonald’s typing this blog. That is cool. I use to come here for pre-game meals as a basketball player. I can almost still feel my teammates and my letterman jacket on my shoulders. I will drive around in town and have the same feelings about the same places as I once did.
Memories are powerful. They allow us to learn, to grow, and to keep wonderful spots in our hearts and minds. I love to remember. They best part is to laugh at the mistakes, the people, and the places. Growing up is great, but keeping places in your heart and mind that reminded you of your youth are the best. I am getting older, and Guntersville is growing, but no matter how much it grows it will still be the same place it was when I was young. I will never forget my youth.

2 comments:

  1. Home is always home. I'm typing this from Panther Pizza in Dillon, Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Russ! Love you Big Brother. It was wonderful to get to see you and your beautiful family. Hopefully, the trip was not too much of a culture shock for Evelyn and Jackson. We love you guys so much. Hope you got home safely and we will get to come your way next time. Love you.

    ReplyDelete