About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Greatest Strength and My Greatest Weakness

One summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern with the United States Marshal Service. It was a great experience; one of the most memorable moments was the interview process. I was interviewed by the U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of Alabama. I did not fully appreciate it at the time, but for one-she was appointed directly by the President (she was a big timer); and two, it was my first very professional interview (I was 21 at the time). The moment that stuck out to me was when she asked two questions back to back- “What is your greatest strength?” and “What is your greatest weakness?” I have had about two more professional interviews since that time, and coincidentally they have asked the same two questions. As a current administrator, I have added those to my interview questions when interviewing new coaches. Those two questions are very important and reveal a lot about people-as long as they answer them truthfully. I want to share with you how I answered.
The first question, “What is your greatest strength?” My competitive nature is my greatest strength. I love to compete; I am at my best when I compete. I want to win. I like to win. I can be relentless when I compete. I can be cut throat when I compete. I want to be a winner.
The second question, “What is your greatest weakness?” My competitive nature is my greatest weakness. I become consumed with winning. I will do anything to win, no matter the consequence. I will say and do things, I would not normally do. I will forsake feelings-mine and others-to win. I want to win despite the cost.
Now, as I am a little older, I am learning to change my answers. I still love to compete, but not everything has to be competition. I do not have to always win. Sometimes losing is ok. Winning at the risk of hurting others, especially those I love, is not worth it. I would like my answers to be-my greatest strength is my willingness to be the best I can, by doing what is right, with love and compassion; my greatest weakness is loving to much, caring to much, and allowing others to succeed and celebrating their success, at the possible cost of my failure. These are lofty goals for a person who is constantly competing at everything. I know this is what God wants for me. I can learn from Jesus. Jesus was willing to sacrifice himself at the cross for the success of the Kingdom. He did it with love, he cared enough-some would even say to much. I will get better, I will learn.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts and don't worry about what Hayley says! Her middle name is HATER!

    ReplyDelete