About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Turning Discomfort Into Comfort

I have decided that this summer I want to get into better shape. I started my routine yesterday, and it has been a painful two days. I started yesterday with a little jogging and some time in the weight room. It is amazing has easy it is to get out of shape, and how difficult it can be to get into shape. With consistent training I believe you can make what is uncomfortable now become comfortable later. You can change what you dream it could be, and make it what you expect it to be. That is my goal.
We have such a hard time with discomfort. We spend most of our days trying to make ourselves comfortable, yet we do not want to be uncomfortable doing it. We just want it to happen. I have come to realize comfortable can only be achieved by weathering the discomfort it takes to get their.
I preach this to our basketball players all the time. They all have a desire to be the best player, yet when it comes to the work it takes to be the best very few are willing to submit. Submission is hard, it means discomfort, even pain, but the prize is so great. Most settle or give up when they don’t see instant results. Look at all the fad diets, fad work-outs; you hear slogans like “in only 90 days”, or with “10 minutes a day.” If you really want to make a change or you want to be different, you have to submit for more than 90 days or 10 minutes a day. It has to be a constant, daily change. It is a lifestyle change.
The same is true with spiritual fitness. What if told God, I am going to be your servant for 90 days or 10 minutes a day? Would he be pleased? God wants us to submit not for a few days, but for the rest of our lives. It will mean a little discomfort, and possibly a little pain-but how sweet the reward is. Do not get me wrong, starting with 10 minutes a day, is better than no start at all. Submission has to be daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly.
I have decided I will weather the discomfort. Trust me, I am sore. I am going to rejoice in my soreness, for I know it will only last a little while, it I am consistent. Soon discomfort will be comfort, and it will be what I expect not what I want.

“He who ignores discipline despises himself. He who heeds correction gains understanding” Proverbs 15:32

1 comment: