About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I am a teacher and coach at Westbury Christian School. I am married to the the wonderful Shara Martin, and have two of the greatest children, Evelyn Rose-2yrs, and Jackson-6 months

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

S.N.B.L. (Sunday Night Basketball League)

I am a basketball coach and a former college basketball player. I retired from scholastic participation in 1998. Since that time, I have played in various recreational leagues. There has been no better league than my current league- The Sunday Night Basketball League.
The league began about 2 or 3 years ago with no set schedule or reasonable organization. This past season however it has take a new form; it has become a set night with some reasonable organization. We play every Sunday night beginning at 6:30pm. We have anywhere from 4 players, playing 2 on 2, to 12 players, playing games of 4 on 4. You have league veterans, Randy King, Lee Martin, Kelvin Brown, Brian Edens, and myself. Then we are joined at times by Greg Glenn, Mike White, Michael Strom, and a few others. We all gather to compete, exercise, and re-live what we once were.
The games can become very competitive, and more times than not someone leaves upset. More times than not-its me who leaves upset or I am the cause of someone leaving upset. Various members have sworn not to return, yet we all do. This is what makes the league special to me.
I have learned a lot about friendship, and Christian love. These guys in the league are my friends. I have learned it is ok to compete, and even get upset, but in the end the love we have for each other is greater than a game of 4 on 4. We compete hard on Sunday nights and then on Monday we talk and laugh about how silly we were the night before. I have even done and said some mean things, yet I have always been forgiven. We do not judge each others characters based on the Sunday night games. We judge each others character based on how we respond after the games are over. We always end the night with a prayer. We hold hands and we pray. We forget the hard fouls, the bad shots, the bad calls, the wins, and losses. WE PRAY TOGETHER!
We have a great time. We laugh, we make fun, we compete-and we will do all again next Sunday. These guys are great examples of the love God wants us to have for each other. We learn to accept the flaws, and look past the competitive nature. We get mad (I get mad), but we forget. I love the Sunday night basketball league. I love my friends. See you guys on Sunday.
Oh by the way, I am going to apologize in advance for the hard fouls. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment